Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Language of Childhood

Though my boys make me crazy with their wild and obnoxious behavior at times, they can be very sweet and do some cute things, too. One thing I absolutely love is the cute language they use while they are little. Here are some of my favorites.

When Mario was younger, breakfast was pronounced "bref-sticks." This was one of the few words he could not pronounce correctly. He had a pretty large vocabulary at a really young age and his pronunciation was right on. The only other issue he had, and still has, is pronouncing his "th"s as "f"s. Frankie does this, too. As in "I fink it's time for lunch." At 3:30, they'd say, "It's free-firty." Mario's teacher said this is normal, so I'm just waiting for this stage to pass.

Frankie has many cute mispronunciations. Here are some of my favorites:
cupcake = pupcake or puckcake
beat = beep; as in "My heart is beeping really fast."
am not = amn't; he created a brand new contraction all by himself
fast = speed; as in "I ran really speed."
rated = rated of; as in, "Mommy, what is this movie rated of?"

One of my faves, that I always correct, but love to hear him say incorrectly, is when he says, "Gimme _____" and I ask him to ask politely and he says, "Can I may please have________?"

These are just a few of the cute little childhood things I'll miss that I hope to remember when they are grown up so we can have a good laugh together.

No comments: