Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Song Sans Sense

I am writing this entry at the risk of my friend Jennifer telling me I sound like an old lady - again- but I just can't resist.

I enjoy a wide variety of music, from oldies to pop to rock to some hip-hop and rap. I have been known to bust out some old school rap for my students from time to time, given the right inspiration. In my repetoire: "Nothing but a G Thang" Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg; "Baby Got Back" Sir Mix-A-Lot; "Whoomp, There It Is" Tag Team, some classic Jay-Z. Today, I must say that the genre of music my students listen to has gone over the edge! It's just too darn much!

I have a student in class, D. I have him two periods in a row, for two different classes, journalism and creative writing. So today, D, who knows about my wide variety of musical tastes through my creative writing Song of the Week, asks if I want to listen to this song on his mp3. I say sure, and he holds his headphone up to my ear. Here are the lyrics to the chorus:

She be dancin' with no panties on,
She bow-legged,
She bow-legged.

Me: Who sings this song?
D: Haitian Fresh and Pleasure P (I can only guess what the P stands for)

I am confused. Is this supposed to be an attractive image? 'Cause it's not! Generally, adults who are bow-legged don't fall into the super-model category nor are they very rhythmic or graceful. That being the case, why would anyone want to see her dancing sans underwear?!!

Okay, so "Baby Got Back" is all about Sir Mix-A-Lot's admiration of bodacious booties, but the song has a sense of humor. This "No Panties" song (yes, that is the actual title - I looked it up) is an R & B song. The kind that uses the newly popular synthesized vocals, so synthesized that it is, in fact, hard to tell what is being sung. But it is serious! I didn't listen to the whole thing (and maybe I should have first before I began my rant) but it definitely wasn't a black Al Yankovic spoof.

There are a lot of new songs out there that I DO like, so I don't think I'm "old" because I think this song is ridiculous. This song just IS ridiculous!

1 comment:

Mishelle said...

I don't get it either so mark me in the same old category as you! I can only imagine that they like this musis for its shock value. Mission accomplished...I'm shocked!