Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pricks

Today, I began what I am sure will be a long relationship with needles. I got up at the unGodly hour of 5:30 a.m. Between the hours of 7 and 9:30 a.m. I was probably pricked with a needle - in my left breast no less! - over 15 times! My appointment was to have an ultrasound-led core needle biopsy. I had had one before, on July 18th, but that one was maybe 5 needles. This one seemed a little excessive.

Luckily, I only really feel the first prick because that is the one which numbs me up. After that it is just some pressure and watching wide-eyed (and sometimes not watching at all) as the radiologist sticks thermometer- and pencil-size needles into a small incision. This time was worse, because it was all happening, literally, in front of my face. Last time I was facing my left side and the doctor was working from my right, so I was looking away. In the room with me this time were an ultrasound tech, a nurse, and the radiologist. He wore a white coat that read "Good Samaritan Director of International Radiology" which made me confident that he was capable. Little did I know he would also be thorough! His name was Burstein and he looked an awful lot like a bald Ben Stein ("Bueller . . . Bueller . . .").

Because Ben Stein was so thorough, he took about six samples with the core biopsy. Then he inserted a tiny clip to mark the spot in further mammograms and ultrasounds. The nurse applied pressure to the insertion spot and then I sat up, got my bearings, and went to have a mammogram to make sure the clip showed up. I highly recommend having your breast numbed before having a mammography - it's not half as painful as having it done when you're not numb. Unfortunately, that isn't ever an option at a regular mammogram.

I waited a few minutes and the radiologist came in to say that the clip was in the wrong spot, which can happen because the clip is inserted when one is laying and the mammogram is taken standing, and, as we all know, breast move. So . . . it's back to the table, more numbing, another incision in another spot, more biopsy needle insertions - about four this time - and then another clip. Did I mention that the biopsy needle sounded like a stapler? Each time it extracted tissue, it would make a loud clickclick! sound. Good times. Luckily, I felt nothing.

After another mamm and then a short wait, I was bandaged up by the nurse, given a small ice pack to wear in my bra (nice look) and sent on my way. Have to go back on Monday to have the incisions checked but other than a little soreness in the area, I am feeling fine.

I have to say that I have had such great treatment at Good Samaritan Hospital in Downer's Grove! Love that place. Whether I was giving birth, having MRIs or mammograms or having my procedure today, everyone there is always kind, reassuring, professional and just fantastic.

After that, it was a quick trip through the Micky D's drive through for a breakfast burrito and a Mocha Frappe before heading to the surgeon's office in Bloomingdale for genetic testing. The geneticist and her geneticist-in-training where so nice and explained the whole process of why it is recommended and how they find what they need to know. After about an hour of explanation from her on the process and explanation from me on my extended family's history, she drew some blood and I was off again.

Due to my early morning, I napped for about 3 hours and am feeling good. Ate yummy taco salad that Beni made for dinner and then spent about 2 hours on the phone with a good friend. Now I am off to watch a tivoed episode of Anthony Bourdain in Naples. Love that guy! Until the next time . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had so much going on today, but when I read you got a nap and taco salad you made me smile Means you did a great good today ;-)

debbie

Tammy and Mark said...

I am sorry about ALL that is being done to your poor body. At least we know it is all for a good cause, to make you well! Hang in their, you are a trooper. I am glad Beni made you dinner (and that sounds so good to me, now I want one right now!) Take care, you are in our thoughts and prayers! Loves.

Julie DeNood said...

Yikes! Sounds uncomfortable to say the least! I am happy to hear that you have good people treating you and explaining everything. Can I send my hubby to Beni for cooking lessons?

Sallie Culloton said...

Your legions of fans are still praying for your strength through this process of getting the cancer out of your body! Much love to you, Fran!! I think you have given everyone a hankering for a taco salad!! :)

Nancy said...

Well...you sure had a busy day! I'm glad you got through it so well! Make friends with your ice pack! Praying!

Anonymous said...

Hey there - I am a breast cancer survivor - I teach at East High for the special education department - my name is Linda Atwell - if indeed you would like to talk more to me about things - please call me up at this number -630 -308-2690 my cell - you are a gal that will become a survivor - you are so grounded and will beat this devil - remember keep it positive and this evil thing will be gone - sorry to hear about it- but will it out of your body ---any questions - please call me up ------ the march is hard and the journey you are going to embark on appears difficult too - but keep it positive always and god will guide you with this march of yours --seek out good medical treatment - if you need a recommendation on doctors or anything else - please do call - I learned alot by reaching out to others - tske care - Linda Atwell