Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ay Caramba!

On Tuesday this week, I had to take my students to register for the classes for next fall. We did this in the main hallway, outside of the counseling offices and the counselors came out and called the students in one at a time. Most of us were sitting there in the hall on folding chairs for the better part of the class period. During a couple of the classes, I started up a game of 20 questions to pass the time. We played a few rounds of this until most of the kids got bored. One young man wanted to continue playing so he asked me to think of something and he'd ask the questions. There was one rule with which he wanted me to comply - "They have to be Mexican, Miss. Do you know any Mexicans?" Puhlease! I told him I had someone in mind and the game began.

Seeing as most Mexican or Mexican-American students see the east side of Aurora as Little Mexico, his questions seemed to be assuming that this "Mexican" I had in mind was in our school, when he was, in fact, actually in Mexico. I took the liberty to say that, no, this person was not from Aurora. He looked truly puzzled. I decided to give him another hint:

Me: Where is the largest Mexican population?
A: Florida!
Me: No. The largest population of Mexican people in a country other than the United States?
A: Honduras? Guatamala?
Me: (Stomping my feet) No, no, no! How about Mexico?
A: Oh, I knew that. Is it Vicente Fox?

Yes. It actually was.

1 comment:

Mishelle said...

I love your student stories! I can't wait to find time to go back and read them all! It's almost as good as hearing you tell them in person! (well...except all the interuptions that any conversation between us gets interupted by 6 little boys!!) lol