Friday, February 10, 2012

Prayers Answered with a Small Miracle

Yesterday we went to the breast surgeon for a follow-up appointment. She checked my surgery site and said everything looked good but mostly wanted to discuss the pathology report. She said she had already told me this information, but perhaps I had misunderstood her or maybe I was still drowsy from the anesthesia, but she said that when she opened me up to remove the tumor there was nothing there. NOTHING THERE! My 16 chemo treatments and especially my 12 doses of Herceptin had completely eradicated my cancer! She said she had never seen that before with Invasive Lobular Cancer. I was lucky because my type was HER+ which made me a candidate for Herceptin and that made all the difference. So, so exciting to hear! My lymph nodes were, obviously, also cancer-free.

I can't help but think back to telling my mom that my oncologist was recommending Herceptin as part of my treatment. My mom, whose cancer was also HER+ over 10 years ago, was so excited because she was part of the trial for the drug and told me that even back then, they were calling Herceptin a "miracle drug". Well, I can vouch for that!

I assume, for the sake of insuring that the cancer is gone and will stay away that I will still undergo radiation and continued Herceptin treatment through August, but I will post an update regarding that after talking to my oncologist. My next appointment is the 16th and at that time I will also make an introductory visit to the radiologist as well.

Again, I want to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has prayed for me and my family and thought positive thoughts on my behalf. You are all part of the miracle. Never before in my life have I felt as loved as I do now. I seriously feel I am being virtually hugged by all of you, all day, every day. That love and support has been a HUGE part of my journey. Love to you all!

6 comments:

Elaine said...

all I can say is WOW.....nothing there?????
You must be floating on a cloud--even though I know you went thru hell. Take care and keep up with the good news. xxoo

Anonymous said...

I read a post from your sister a while back, something about how you weren't going to take any mess from "c" and you would "kick it's a.."
Well you sure did that, in spades.
This only proves what a positive attitude can accomplish (and I suppose some great medicine too.)
Look forward to our actual arm in arm hugs to come. Love from all in Monterey. Rina.

Stacey said...

All I can say is PRAISE GOD! Our prayers were answered and your complete recovery is the manifestation. What a blessing and thank you so much for sharing your testimony!!!

kim said...

that's awesome news! praise GOD! so glad for this news and so thankful for GOD's grace and mercy!

Mary Dudzienski said...

I am convinced that great medicines, great friends, great attitudes, the power of prayer, and the mercy of God created your miracle! PRAISE GOD!!!! I am so very, very happy for you, Fran!

Tammy and Mark said...

This news gives me chills! Wow, how exciting, congratulations! I am so happy and thank the Lord for taking care of YOU!!!