Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Recuperation Update

On Monday, Beni took me to the plastic surgeon's office for a follow-up. I was hoping to have all four drains removed, but the physician's assistant said that she could only remove two, seeing as the two remaining ones were still collecting a substantial amount of fluid. Hopefully this will slow down enough to get them removed next Monday. She also said that she hopes to be able to insert some more fluid into the expanders next week, too. Maybe then I'll be an A cup. This also means that taking a real shower is still out of the question for another week. Ew. In the mean time I will make the most of damp washcloth baths.

Now that I have only two drains to clean twice daily, and less soreness in my arms, I am cleaning them myself. Beni still has to help change the dressings on my incisions and around the drains. Sleeping is better than in the hospital, yet not comfortable. As a side sleeper, it is hard to get comfortable on my back, especially when I am sitting up all day and then laying flat all night. My back and butt are getting tired of always being in the same position.

This morning Beni and I went on a 15 minute walk around our block just to get some exercise and fresh air. It was awesome!

I've been spending a lot of time on Facebook and Pinterest and have found a fun new site called Polyvore where I can create outfits. Lots of time-wasters. I have tried to read Bram Stoker's Dracula for school, but cannot get into it, so I changed over to Dicken's Great Expectations which I am liking a bit better. I wish I didn't have to get those done so I could enjoy something of my own choosing, but I guess I'll have to wait for summer to do that. This time off is definitely relaxing, though.

Tomorrow we go for a follow up visit to the breast surgeon who, I assume, will discuss the pathology report with us. She already called to say that there were no traces of cancer in the lymph node they removed, but we will probably get all the details tomorrow. Stay tuned . . .

No comments: