Friday, October 10, 2008

Autumn in Aurora

September is here, and our family is back into the swing of the old school year routine. Beni and I used to fight over who was going to get into the shower first at 5:30 a.m, but in just one month it's settled into Beni first at 5:45, followed by Fran at 5:55. Mario gets up and dresses himself and goes downstairs with daddy to eat breakfast. Frankie, on the other hand, values every minute of his precious sleep - just like his mommy. Beni leaves around 6:10 and after I get myself ready, I wrestle and argue with the boys while we dress, wash faces and brush teeth. Despite two years of this routine, it never seems to get easier. By 6:45ish we leave the house and drive the 4 blocks to daycare. I always heave a sigh of relief when they are safely delivered to daycare and my quiet day of teaching high school juniors and seniors begins. Sounds crazy, I know, but it's the truth. The best part of the day is the daycare drop off to 7:35 when the bell announcing the arrival of my students rings. In that time I drink my coffee, check my mailbox, read my emails and socialize. I think of it as my mental prep time.

School is over at 3:04 but I usually stay until about 4, preparing for the next day and doing teacher stuff. I pick up the boys and head for home. Because it is football season, Beni doesn't get home until 5:30 or sometimes 6. Therefore it is my job to make dinner. I don't mind, except that the boys are both in soccer this season and on practice or game nights, we have to be out of the house by 5:25 at the latest to get to the park which is only two blocks away on the same street. Last week we had either a practice or game for either one or the other boy EVERY night! It was ridiculous. Fortunately, two of the nights got rained out. Hooray! As a soccer mom, I pray for evening rain. On weeks like those, the menu consists of hot dogs, frozen chicken cordon bleu, and other quick, processed foods. Luckily this week, I only have to pray for rain on Wed. and Fri.

About soccer. The boys love it. As we walked to Mario's first practice of the season, he told me that he wants to be a famous soccer player now that he knows how popular soccer is all over the world. I encouraged him to keep practicing. Bless his heart. If you saw him play you would immediately know that at this point in his training, he doesn't have a chance! But hey, you never know. I won't discourage him to follow his dreams. Maybe David Beckham had no talent when he picked up his first soccer ball.

This is Frankie's first time playing soccer and he was a little leary, but once the first practice was over and he got his first snack he let me know, "I LOVE soccer!" They both enjoy themselves tremendously, but have no idea what is going on and what they should be doing. It is sometimes hysterical and sometimes embarrassing. I feel bad for the other kids who have to play both offense and defense because my kid is staring at cloud formations instead of goal-keeping. God bless those kind parents who tell my child, "Good job Frankie/Mario" as the other team scores while my child picks dandelions. I just smile sheepishly and remind him to "watch the ball." At least they look cute in their uniforms.

I did see some improvement in Mario from one season to the next, so I guess there is hope. I guess we'll have to take it one kick at a time until fall turns to winter and Beni can have a regular meal ready for me when I get home from work. Along with rained out practices I also pray for no playoff season for the W.V. football team. I know. I'm a terrible wife and mother.

No comments: