Friday, October 10, 2008

The Extreme Sleeper

I think that in 2016, if the Olympics come to Chicago, I will try out for the Extreme Sleeping competition. Of course, first I'll have to petition to make this an actual event. Wish me luck.
I have probably taken a nap 85% of the days of my summer vacation. I LOVE to nap and it doesn't even matter if I got up at 9:30 a.m. and curl up for my nap at 1:30 after lunch. One might think that I close my eyes for 10 minutes or so for a quick power nap, but NO! If I'm going to nap, I'm going to take it seriously. Nothing less than an hour counts and two is more like it. Mind you, I am being constantly interrupted by my children, so very rarely am I sound asleep. I have to be conscious enough to make excuses to my children. Here are some excuses from my vast reportoire: "I'm not sleeping, I'm just resting my eyes,", "I'll be up in just a few more minutes," , "I'll get it for you as soon as I get up," etc. Of course, if it were an emergency request like "Help! Mario's bleeding!" I'd be up in a second, but it's usually something like, "I want to play on the computer, Mommy. Can you put me on PlayhouseDisney.com?­"

Because of my frequent summertime naps, my bed time has become later and later. It is currently 11:42 and I am enjoying some alone time, listening to the crickets chirp outside. Ah, peace at last. I'm not even tired yet. Funny thing is - I didn't even take a nap today. I am really getting used to this quiet alone time at night BUT sadly next week it will come to a crashing halt as I have to get up at 5:30 a.m. to try to leave my house by 6:30 to drop off the kids and head to work so I can get in a good hour of prep time before the students show up. It's mostly to mentally get in "teacher-mode" and chat in the hallway with my colleagues.

In preparation for this, I have been weaning myself off of the naps and trying to go to bed earlier, but I just don't want to. I know I'll be miserable when school starts, but I think I can just live with it for a few days until my internal clock catches up and I go back to falling asleep on the family room couch around 8 p.m. when I finally sit down after working all day and making dinner, cleaning up and giving the kids their baths. Some nights, I'm so comfy that I stay there all night! It's a great couch!

So, as summer winds to an end, it's time to flip my sleeping extremes from Napping Night Owl to Busy Couch Crasher. Let the games begin!

No comments: