Sunday, October 12, 2008

Texting Is The Devil

I have a cell phone. These days, most people do. Even my mom has one, so that say a lot. As my husband and good friends can tell you, if you need to get a hold of me, don't bother calling my cell phone because it is either off or the battery is dead. I have my cell phone for emergencies. I got it when I had to commute 45 minutes to and from work.

I understand that I am a rare case. Most people with cell phones keep them on and charged constantly. Many people use them for work. Others use them socially which is fine, too. If you are an adult and have a steady job - then you deserve a cell phone and should be able to use it appropriately.

On the other hand, there are many occasions when being on your cell phone is down-right rude: while checking out at a store, in the company of others who are not on cell phones, at a parent-teacher conference. In a classroom! It can also be incredibly dangerous. Just earlier today, as I was on my way to the grocery store with my youngest child in the car, seconds away from an intersection, a speeding black sedan ran a red light right in front of me. The driver was on a cell phone!

My biggest peeve though has to be the use of cell phones in school. My school's policy is that students may carry their cell phones on their person, but they must not be seen and must be off. The phones must be turned off when they enter the building and cannot be turned on until the final bell rings. Of course, the students all concur that rules were made to be broken. Daily there is the interupting ring tone, or the young man texting under his desk. To this, I usually say, "There are only two things you could be doing down there, and both of them are inappropriate! Put it away!" I must admit that I am not big on taking the phones away. It's more of a hassle than it's worth. I give warnings, but if it comes down to it, I will take it away.

Here is an incident that sent me completely over the top last week:

The scene: I am reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker to my class who should all be following along in their copies. There are ten minutes left in the period. Two students, a girl, E, and a boy, J, come up beside the podium I am sitting behind.

E: (Quietly) We have to go.
Me: Go? Go where?
E: Our friend is in trouble.
Me: (Already understanding) How could you possibly know your friend is in trouble?
J: (Silently shows me his cell phone)
Me: Well, you shouldn't have had that on in the first place, so you shouldn't even know that your friend is in trouble, so, no, you cannot go anywhere.
E: Will you write us a referral if we leave?
Me: Absolutely.
E: Okay. (She and J casually walk out of the room)

I lost it! The rest of class had to bear the brunt of my fury. I gave them a tongue lashing about how I hate cell phones in school and that if students are in school simply to socialize they should refrain for coming to my class because I expect their attention to be focused on class. Yada yada yada. The all fell silent. I don't rant and rave very often.

If you are the parent of a teenager, please, please, please, make them uderstand that having a cell phone is a privelege. I spend at least one period, each semester, telling kids that they do not need their cell phones during the day. I try to explain that if their parents need to get a hold of them, they can do it the old-fashioned way, via the school telephone and a note sent to the student. Anyone else, should be able to wait until 3:04 to get a hold of them. I don't care who they are. I tell them that I have a cell phone, but it is turned off and in my purse, in my closet. If someone needs me, they know where I work. Believe it or not, I once had a student answer a call in class - it was her mom! Her mom wanted to know what she wanted for dinner!!!! How are my students supposed to take their educations seriously if not even their parents think it's serious? (See two posts ago for my thoughts on this)

Cell phones and texting are the devil! I once said to two female students, "If you can go several hours without your phone when you're asleep, then you can go without for the several hours you're in school." They looked at me like I was so naive - and I am. "Ms. I leave my cell phone on vibrate under my pillow at night," was one girl's response. "Me, too," said the other. I just shook my head, speechless. I guess there was no way to make them understand. The second girl went on to tell me she racked up $500. one month going over her text minutes. $500! They can pay the cell phone bill but God forbid they go out and buy their own dictionary!

Perhaps this is a rash judgement, but technology is ruining our society. It creates too many distractions, has bastardized the spelling of the English language and has made the next generation too concerned about social status and too uncaring about becoming a productive, intellingent, caring human being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While, I agree with you...I think you sound old. You made me laugh though! I will pass this on to my mom.