Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Anticipation . . . oh it's making me wait

I am realizing that the longer one is forced to wait, the more likely it is for bad news to cross their mind. I was hoping that I would hear from my doctor today about the results of my bone scan yesterday. They said they'd have the results in 24 hours. Granted, I know that the doctor is busy and may not have even had time today to look at the report - if she even got it today. I just wish that my test results were as urgent to everyone on my "medical team" as they are to me!

The scan itself was much easier than I thought it would be. I went into the hospital diagnostic department at 11:30 and was taken back for a teeny-tiny injection. I was expecting to have to drink a gallon of stuff (in an earlier post I had said barium, but I was wrong. Isn't that what you drink before a colonoscopy?), but instead, they just gave me a drop of something that absorbs into my bones. Didn't feel a thing. Then I waited for two hours. I read more of The Help, which I am loving, and had a light lunch in the cafeteria. What a nice cafeteria CDH has! Deli, salad bar, sushi bar, paninis and all kinds of hot dishes, too! I just opted for a salad this time. At 1:30 I went back to have the scan done. I layed on a table like an MRI machine and the technician slid me in. There was an x-ray panel about 5 cm from my face. I stayed like that about 4 minutes and then the table moved back out ever-so-slowly as the x-ray panel captured my body. Once my head was out, I could see on a computer screen above me, what was being photographed, in tiny dot-art style black and white. Pretty cool. The whole thing lasted 20 minutes. Painless.

The painful part, as usual, is waiting.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Waiting is the PITS! Keep busy doing exactly what you're doing! Hang in there, Fran!