Monday, August 29, 2011

I Don't Wanna Hair Cut!

Today is the day. This morning as I was flat ironing my already straight hair, more than usual came out. All I had to do was lightly grab a few strands and out they came, painlessly. Today, at work, I showed my co-worker and friend who is a breast cancer survivor, a handful of hair and asked, "Is this what it looks like when your hair starts falling out?" She replied, "It's time."

So, in an hour or two, after we eat dinner and wash the dishes, Beni will shave my head but all day I kept thinking, "I don't wanna hair cut!" It has been years since I have said those words and years since I've meant it. I have NEVER seen myself bald! I remember being mad when my dad (a barber) would cut my hair too short as a child and I thought I looked like a boy. What am I going to think NOW? Ugh. The idea of looking at a bald me in the mirror is sickening.

At the same time, I think it will be a relief to no longer wait for "the-falling-out-of-the-hair" to happen. It will be nice to not have hairs all over the bathroom floor. It will be nice to have a few extra minutes to sleep in the mornings, but I'd trade all of those things to keep my hair.

It's time to look like a cancer patient, I guess. It will be weird to be bald but feel fine. This is so weird. Consider this my pre-hair loss blog. I will post another tonight when it is all gone. If you're lucky, and I can stand to, I might even post a picture. I shudder to think.

6 comments:

Julie said...

It will grow back more beautiful than ever! Maybe even straight so you won't have to flat iron it! And, like the cancer, it is only temporary.

Grecia G said...

Hey Mrs. Manzella, long time no talk but I have been reading your updates and I just want to say keep on keeping on! You're so strong and unbelievably beautiful so don't stress out over losing your hair because it's just one of the many lovely qualities you posses. I've also seen the picture of you in the wig and you could have fooled me. :) You rock and all that good stuff!

Grecia said...

Hmm now that I think about it hair is not really a quality is it?? Maybe the great upkeep of your hair is one?? Sorry, being out of school for 2 years has really dumbed me down. :)

Tammy and Mark said...

Francesca I am so sorry. It is heart breaking to hear all that you are going through. I LOVE the way you are so good at finding something positve about all this. My favorite: getting to sleep in a little, I am a fan of that!!! I Love you, take care, be brave tonight knowing that you are a beautiful person inside and out!!!

Francesca said...

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous said...

It must be very difficult for you. We are so proud of you and your optimism and how you are dealing with this. It's the heart of the person that matters most and you surely have a wonderful loving heart. Thoughts and prayers are sent to you. Love Aunt Diane and Uncle Domenico We love you