Friday, August 5, 2011

First Chemo on August 16th

Drumroll please . . . My first chemo has been scheduled as of 5 p.m. today for 1 o'clock on Tuesday, August 16th. I am glad to be getting started with this so that the meds/chemicals can start killing/shrinking my tumor(s), but can't believe the ridiculously bad timing. The following Thursday, the 18th, I start work. The nurse who scheduled it said I'd probably feel worse the following week. Great! Just in time to meet my new students on the first day of school on the 22nd. They will hopefully get to see my real hair just before before it starts falling out in clumps. Maybe by the second week of school I will have a brand new look. Who wants to go wig shopping? Hit me up!

4 comments:

Colette Liska said...

First of all, I'm so sorry you have to go through this and we will keep you in our prayers. Secondly, I read through some of your old posts and saw the whole sick days issue, which totally sucks. Have you talked to Lilia Bejec about what she did two years ago when she took the whole year off for cancer treatment and recovery and I subbed for her? The circumstances were probably different since she's only a year away from retirement, but she might have some words of wisdom concerning taking so much time off and fighting cancer. That said, my two cents is that you need to focus all your energy on yourself and your family and on beating this. Don't feel guilty about leaving the students with subs and don't stress about them not respecting you when you do get back. Ultimately, it's one class out of their whole school career vs. your entire life. Focus on getting better! We love you - please don't hesitate to ask if there's ever anything we can do, no matter how small, to make this fight easier. And have faith - you are totally going to kick cancer's ass!

Nancy said...

Oh Fran....Colette hit the nail on the head! You need to focus on YOU! Love you!!

Francesca said...

Trust me - I am not a martyr. When I don't feel well or if my blood counts are low, I will NOT be going in to work. I am sure that the first semester will be the tougher of the two and I will be using most of my sick days then. My health and being around for my husband and kids is the most important thing and I will not sacrifice that for my students or anyone else. Once again, thanks for all the love and support!

Tringali Family said...

We are all praying for you and thinking about you.