Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Start Spreadin' The News

Today I shared the news with my students. On the second day of school, which is the first full-day of class, I like to play a game with them to help us get to know each other. The game is "Two Truths and a Lie". You tell two things about yourself and one untruth and the rest of the class has to guess which of the three is the lie. You definitely learn some interesting stuff about each other. I used this as my way of sneaking in the topic of having breast cancer. My first hour Honors class has been unusually quiet both days. When I put my two truths and a lie on the board - one reading, "I have been diagnosed with breast cancer," you could hear crickets chirping. I got weepy as I told my students the whole story and welcomed their questions. More crickets. I think they were flabbergasted and didn't know what to make of it. Maybe it was too early for them to process. I took this as a sign that maybe I should be making a game of it.

Period three went so much better. I just told the students I needed to tell them something important and broke the news. They were much more interested it seemed and asked some questions at the end. Then we lightened the mood by playing the game with their two truths and a lie. My Tomcat Time advisory went well, also, and we had a group hug at the end. Maybe those girls have matured over the summer, because they seem less annoying than last year.

Seventh hour I had students ask if I needed a hug. I told them that I didn't need one, but if they wanted to give me one, I'd be happy to have one. I got two. During ninth and tenth I got a little weepy again, but for the most part, I think it was a great day and with the exception of my first hour, I was pleased with each class's reaction.

Word is already getting around. Between 8th and 9th period two former students came up to me and asked, "Ms., is it true?" I told them it was and they said, "If there is anything we can do . . ." So sweet. They gave me hugs and I told them I loved them (which I do because they are such fun and sweet and good girls). I'm sure I'll be getting more visits like this in the upcoming days and weeks.

I by no means wish this type of ordeal on anyone, but I do wish that at some point in their lives, everyone, whether I know them or not, has the opportunity - hopefully in health, rather than sickness - to comprehend the scope of how much they are loved and have impacted others. I am feeling that so, so powerfully at this point in my life and it is truly humbling. Thank you's will never be enough. I love you all and again, say thanks for the support!

5 comments:

Tammy and Mark said...

All I can say is you must be a WONDERFUL teacher!!! It sounds like your students really love you, and that is so wonderful. I'm glad things went well today!

Elaine said...

Good that you got that out of the way--sounds emotionally draining. You are one tough cookie. Hope your week goes well. xxooet

Tbear said...

Way to go Fran!!! You always speak your heart!!
Tbear

Julie said...

WE do have some wonderful kids, don't we? I hope the rest of your week went well!

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful and touching
Fran. The things you said at the end were so true.
We love you.