Saturday, August 13, 2011

Who'd Have Thunk It


Yesterday, I did something no woman thinks she will ever have to do. I went shopping for a wig. I was very lucky to have my friend, Jennifer, come along with me for both moral support and an honest opinion. We went to the American Cancer Society office in Oak Brook Terrace and met with the wig boutique volunteer, Maggie, who was very helpful and sweet.

When Jennifer and I entered the small boutique area at the back of the offices, we both had the same sinking feeling (though we discussed it after we'd left). The six or seven wigs on display, sitting on the traditional 70's style mannequin heads, looked like trashy wigs. We both secretly thought, 'Please let their selection be better than this!' (See above)

Luckily, Maggie, opened some cabinets and pulled out some samples from quite an assortment of colors and styles, all of which looked better than the ones sitting upon the plastic heads. Maggie was very accomodating and went along with my sense of humor when I asked to try on a red wig, just so I could take a picture as a joke to send to my neice, who has some strange aversion to red-heads (no offense to my red-headed friends). We mostly stuck with brunette mid to short styles and finally came to the choice above. It doesn't look as good as it should because it was a little small. Maggie is ordering it in a larger size and I should have it in a couple of weeks - just in time for the hair loss to hit. The best part is it is 100% FREE! Thank you American Cancer Society!

After wig shopping, a girl has to let off some stress, so Jennifer and I did a little shopping at Ulta for eye brow stencils and make up, Old Navy for a couple of tops - Hey! If a girl's gonna work, she needs a new back-to-school outfit! and window shopping at DSW. Then we headed to downtown Naperville to meet my other friend Megan for dinner at Catch 35. Great food, great company, a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio and a girl can forget that the hair she's wearing right now will not be there next month.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran,
It really is amazing about these wigs. Two of my friends had them and I could not even tell they were wigs, they looked great. We will be praying for you on the chemo day next week. Lots of love to you and your family.
Love,
Aunt Diane and Uncle Domenico

Tammy and Mark said...

You look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Looks Great ! How are you feeling ?

debbie

Lily Ocon said...

Hermosa!!